|Products | Features | Sales | What's New | Download | Support | Tutorials | Newsletter | DOTM | About|
We have started development of the next major version. Howler 2021 will probably become available in
Augustlate July 2020. It's an ongoing development.
Never heard of Project Dogwaffle? or PD Artist or PD Howler, PD Particles??
- PD Howler is a paint program; it comes with many brushes, including particle brushes for foliage. Howler is awesome for nature painting
- Howler does animation too. You can work with video on video
- Many Filters, on still images and across videos, keyframed, special effects
- Realistic 3D landscape rendering
- Motion estimated interpolation, Rotoscoping and chroma keying, compositing and lots more. If you work with video clips, this will be a great tool as a companion to your video editing solution.
- PD Artist, the little sister to Howler, doesn't do animations (except for animbrushes)
What's (arguably) not so good? (there's always an achilles heel, right?)
- layers do exist but are not auto-opaque except if you set them up with color-keying (chromakey) such as green screen, blue screen, magenta or magic pink.
- It's a 32-bit program. But we're doing ok, compressing things, and it runs best on a 64-bit version of Windows with lots of RAM.
More about features here and here: the Dogwaffle Main Features List
Howler vs. Artist - what are the Differences?
Images of Howler 2021
Created in Howler 2021
Finish Me - 6, 7, 8
Finish Me 10-11
Interface - GUI01
myGUI01 - while rendering an animation with PuppyRay GPU
Below are some of the new features coming to PD Howler 2021:
- Also see more of what's new at http://pdhowler.com/WhatsNew.htm
What's New in Howler 2021?Here are various bits and pieces of interest related to Howler 2021 and related topics. (in reverse-chronological order, i.e. most recent updates first at top of the list)
July 28, 2020Build 35
- First build on new system
- The selection style is now fully implemented in the hprop control, as evidenced in the Filter > Render > Shape Bombing filter
July 21, 2020Build 34
- The button control now has an option to adjust the transparency of the gradient in the button control. We may utilize this sometime in the future.
- Move initialization of GDI+ into a global area instead of for individual instances in the button control.
- Identified some issues with panning on a un-zoomed window and fixed some issues surrounding it, but not the issue itself yet.
July 21st, 2020Build 32
- There are only a few remaining issues, but again, this build is aimed primarily at stability
- Reimplemented parts of the button control for efficiency
- Puppyray CPU is now deprecated and now lives under the View/other menu
- Puppyray CPU global illumination is removed because of stability
- Fixed the transform menu that was broken in the last build
July 20, 2020Build 30
- removes the browser's reliance on ImageMagik Convert.
- This version is aimed at stability
- Rewrote parts of the hprop, numeric hprop, and dropslider controls in reguards to scrollwheel support
- Puppyray CPU is now depricated in favor of Puppyray GPU
July 19, 2020Build 28
- Fixed a recursive out of memory error when manipulating the size button with the scroll wheel under certain conditions
- The aapen (AA Pen - Anti-aliased pen) is now multithreaded(!). It was originally intended to be "just a pen" but it seems to be taking on additional responsibilities lately and thus needs a little help for larger workloads. Large brushes with the AApen should be faster as a result.
- Zoom blur filter and Mystic Vision filter panels are now larger and allow a bit more input area
- Fixed the crosshair position offset problem on those panels
July 18, 2020Build 27
- Made the vscroll bar on the sidebar/media panel a little wider
- Added the new style Vscroll bars to several components that didnt' use them yet.
- Made several tangible memory optimizations
- Added error trapping to one of our scaling routines that allocates memory
July 16, 2020Build 26
- Refresh build to update the version string
- Mostly testing and tutorializing today
July 15, 2020Build 25
- Scroll wheel was reversed
- Continuing to battle with the hprop control
- As we get closer to final release, we are making some fine-tue adjustments
- The default color theme is now the Orange on Dark theme
- When creating a new custom brush or airbrush shape, the default step mode is now "relative"
- This helps insure that there is always a "safe" value for step by way of performance. It would be unfortunate to create a brush that brings your system to a halt.
- Several filter panels that use a preview now have a larger preview area
- The Dropslider control now owns it's own unique instance of the "drop" part of the control, instead of sharing with other instances.
July 14, 2020Build 22
- Added buttons on the context strip to flip and rotate the brush
- pressing x,y,z on the keyboard to flip and rotate the brush now show the preview instantly, assuming brush preview is turned on
July 13, 2020Build 21
- Pulled build 20 due to a last minute crashing bug.
- Fixed hprop control scrollwheel interfearing with other controls with focus.
- Rewrote the tab rendering code for clearity. Now supports rounded tabs.
- fixed a tab rendering bug introduced in the last build
- Made code changes to the hprop, numeric hprop, and dropslider controls
- The Dropslider no longer raises "change" events in place of scroll events
- Code changes in Howler in accordance
- the 3 controls now support the new non-linear style where values over 100% increase more rapidly up to 1000%
- Fixed a minor visual glitch on the legacy brush panel
July 12, 2020Build 18
- Added a few new GUI color themes and tweaked a few existing themes
- Fixed a color pen bug that arose a few builds ago
- Fixed a few old plugins that were broken in recent builds
- Added a non-linear option to the Hprop control
July 11, 2020Build 17
- The info panel is reorganized to be more readable
- The airbrush creation tool now follows the GUI pen colors
July 10, 2020Build 16
- The airbrush building tool now goes to 1000 pixels
- Added some visual separater lines on the context strips
- Fixed a bug on the brush shape panel that caused the scrollbar to scroll to an empty area under cirtain situations.
Introduction to big brushes - https://youtu.be/PRo7qds1NZA
July 9, 2020
- This build primarily addresses issues with multiple monitor systems.
- Primary window now opens on the last used monitor
- Compact mode now works correctly with multiple monitors
- Toggling compact mode no longer switches to the primary monitor
- Experimented with intuos tablet "pan and scroll" associated with the primary stylus button and found it unsolvable to filter out the unwanted behavoir. Recomend changing the tablet settings to "erase" via the primary stylus button.
- The splash screen remains on the primary monitor
- Made some panel size adjustments
July 7, 2020
- addressed issue. box color picker does not update when picking a color on other pickers
- Brush manager was broken due to new scrollbar
- Made some layout and costmetic changes to dropdown panels
July 6, 2020
- fixed a dramatic pause when using the rectangle tool for the first time due to dlls being loaded into memory.
- The eyedropper (aka turkey baster or color picker) now shows a swatch of the color under the pointer, so you know better which exact pixel's color it's grabbing.
- Last saved backup is showing more details
July 5, 2020
- Overhauled the eyedropper/color picker (aka turkey baster) tool so it no longer distracts you from the tool you were working with. for example if you're in the paint tool with a brush, quickly pick the color and then keep painting.
- Keyboard shortcut: Using the "n" key to set the center of focus in a picture no longer does anything if the area under the pointer is outside of the main image. The main reason for this change was that it was easy to have the image fly off into infinity if the n key was pressed by accident.
- Due to popular request, the size and opacity sliders have numeric entry re-enabled.
- (Fixed) the layer mode panel would not open on machines with multiple monitors configured on top of each other.
- Numeric entry on the numeric hprop now explicity excludes non numeric characters to avoid possible conficts with accelerator keys.
- The numeric hprop did not properly allow custom mouse pointers
- Smoother scrolling of the sidebar with fewer artifacts.
- The scrollbar on the stored image dock was not properly recalculated if the main window was resized.
- The size and opacity sliders are now much larger and tablet friendly
- Updated and new controls in Howler 2021's GUIDropslider
- We now have much finer control over text/picture alignment, rendering and GUI pens
- Dropslider, prop bars Controls now support mouse scroll wheel
- Fixed significant bug where dropslider could use the wrong settings and crash the program over time
- Fixed crash if automatic adjustment filter was applied to image with single color
- fixed a bug where the brush preview rendered incorrectly when using a tablet
- Added multicolor gradient stops to the drawing API, and a new vbscript example of doing so
- Did some additional cleaning and organizing of the media/favorites category
So... What else is New in Howler 2021?
Several places with scrollbars: even color gradient in the scrollbar for Adjust color filter!
the Free Demo / TrialReady to try it for free? download and install this free demo version:
Size: 128027670 bytes (122 MiB)
Latest versions - Checksums
Got it? downloaded it? Verify that your download is authentic and complete:
Most recent releases:
- for PD Howler 2021:Name: Howler_2021_0034.exe
Size: 128040576 bytes (122 MiB)
- for PD Artist 2021:
tbd - not yet available
(Note: PD Artist gets released less frequently and has fewer features. If you want the best of the best (of the best(!)), then get PD Howler.
Howler vs. Artist - what is the Difference?
Here's a site that's dedicated to DAZ's Carrara and other tools including a heavy dose of Howler: https://www.dartanbeck.com/the-software/pd-howler